funkylady

Grey Glasgow

It's funny now that I think about it, I really didn't have fond memories of Glasgow (except a time or two with my friends). And I find it odd because going to new places always excites me and it did actually, but it was a different story when I got there and stayed for a week. The weather has always been grey since the day we arrived. The conference organiser had to give out hundreds of raincoats to conference delegates. I got a yellow one, screaming "slow down" to incoming traffic. I didn't figure in a vehicular accident, thankfully. I'm not sure how one can, since the roads are too narrow in the city centre and the bus drivers seemingly polite with their hats and Scottish accents.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Not actually the city centre in Glasgow but going to Lanarkshire
still the roads are quite narrow for a main thoroughfare, I guess most roads in Europe?


Every time I come back to my room, I'd always look outside and check out the cityscape: everyday it's the same gloomy, old Victorian buildings staring back at me and a minute of rain. But I don't know, I keep on saying it looks sad and gloomy yet the bleakness has a certain appeal to me.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
View from my room around 11.00pm
I had to wear eyeshades and draw my curtains to block out the light


I wandered alone one day, decided to skip the early part of the conference and visit the Glasgow Cathedral. I got there so early that it was still closed. The dead in the nearby necropolis kept their silence as I took frame after frame of that morning's stillness. They decided to keep mum about the cathedral's opening time. They must thought that everybody can read the sign, but what if I'm blind.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Early morning visit at the necropolis, too coward to go inside though

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
The Glasgow Cathedral taken across the road

I wanted to take a picture of myself with the cathedral in the background and see how my face looked like that day, must be extremely bored and a bit pale from not eating blood pudding offered daily at the University cafeteria.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
The armadillo, an architectural landmark in Glasgow viewed from the Science Centre
grey as usual and a drizzle every 5 minutes or so

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Clydeport and a view of the SECC and the armadillo
how can people survive this kind of weather


I pray that this year won't be so blah, though I don't know how. Half of the people I was with last year are gone. Maybe I'll just go and visit my friends at the necropolis one last time.

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home