funkylady

I got a lesson on karma and the philosophical interrelation of things. Please!

Rewind.
I love Indian food, especially the curries, the rotis and the naan breads. While in Johannesburg, I didn't pass up the opportunity to try out Indian cuisine (and Chinese too, oh well). One of my favorite places (since it's the most accessible from the workplace) me and my friends frequent is Bismillah. We'd have a bet on who's gonna use the f word while with teacher Per and the first to say it would pay for whole gang's next Bismillah meal. I'm fortunate that I have a housemate, J, who has lived in India for two years and taught me how to cook some basic Indian dishes. And how could I forget Mamu's fish curry!

I forgot to buy garam at the Oriental Plaza before heading back to Manila, I thought maybe it's easy to find it here since there's definitely an Indian community somewhere in this bustling metropolis.

I put off interviewing Indians in motorbikes as I thought they might be too busy doing their daily house to house debt collections. I inquired in a forum instead and somebody assumed I was Indian because of my nick, and told me that somebody named "krishnna" should know where to buy garam...connect.

****
Update: I've left this a draft ages ago and I'm too lazy to finish it now. Read in forums (fora) that one can find masala and other spices along UN Avenue. Haven't been there yet. Bought lots in Kota Kinabalu: dried chili, different curry powder, soup mix, etc. Also, I have seen a shop selling spices in Market! Market! at the Fort.

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home