funkylady

I went to the Millennium Bridge yesterday and joined the 140 or so students, a professor, and a smattering of activists for the STAND UP and SPEAK OUT against poverty event here in Newcastle. I know the number is quite dismal compared to the organised event in the Philippines but Britain and its citisens has a reputation of being quite apathetic about poverty in developing nations. Still, it was an achievement and it was hard work for the students who organised it. Majority came from the University of Newcastle. I met a retired professor and we'll have coffee some time to chat about his advocacy for the University to make an official commitment to the Make Poverty History campaign.

The view from the bridge was exhilarating and it was very cold and windy I thought it would tilt. It does tilt (so cool!) to make way for the passage of huge ships, it's an architectural feat. Being new to the city, I did lots of consultations with colleagues and checked out Google maps just to be sure I won't get lost, and I didn't.



The Millennium Bridge

I got home around 6 or 7 last night and was quite undecided what to eat. I'm running out of food stock and there's no Metro between Benton and Shiremoor, Northumberland Park is sandwiched in between and it's where I'm supposed to go grocery shopping as it has a big Sainsbury's very close to the station. I ended up sauteeing mushrooms, onions and bell pepper in butter and put a dash of salt and pepper. It was the best!! And I'm not saying that because I cooked it but it's really good. I'll try to cook it again when my colleagues come over for dinner some time and let them be the judge. I ate it with re-heated chicken adobo and fresh greens with caesar dressing. Finished off with vanilla ice cream. Bliss.

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home