funkylady

Surprise!!

In the midst of my concentration in computing for the projected traffic volume for a proposed residential area in Sucat, a brown envelope was delivered to my uber comfy "office". It's my very own poster map of World Heritage Sites delivered all the way from the UNESCO HQ in Paris! I happened to visit the UNESCO website one day and saw that they're giving away free posters, so I signed up right away.

I have a penchant for traveling and I am very fortunate to visit some of the most wonderful places on Earth which would definitely make one think twice about the non-existence of a Great Designer. I have visited two in South Africa (the uKhalamba/Drakensberg Park and the Fossil Hominid Site of Sterkfontein), one in the United Kingdom (New Lanark), one in South Korea (Changdeokgung Palace), and one in our country (the Cordillera Rice Terraces). Unfortunately, of all the WH sites I've visited, the least conserved or protected is our very own. It is in fact marked as a "property in danger" by UNESCO and might be taken out of the list if it continues to degrade.(Although this action, despite being sanctioned by the World Heritage Convention, has never had to be applied, is our case going to be the first?)

There are still hundreds of places to be visited and explored, each of them of unparalleled beauty and each tells an interesting history/herstory of our species,
this thought alone made me realize how beautiful life is despite the difficulties we find ourselves in. There are still oases where we can find solace and bask in our God's/gods magnificence.

Some photos can be viewed here
---
Next WH site: Kinabalu park in Sabah, Malaysia.

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home