funkylady

Cube Farm Red Alert

As much as I want to blog about our (me & my beloved opism8s) very serious and thought-provoking discussion over lunch regarding the problems which beset our nation, I can't. I'm having menstrual cramps right now and I'm doing the hot water bottle therapy. It really works for me. So, I'm sharing here a quick and easy pain-reliever to all my womyn-friends :D

Here's how to do it:

1) Get an empty bottle. (I use a gatorade bottle.)
2) Put some hot water. (I fill mine directly from the thermos, so it's super hottt!)
3) Be careful not to scald yourself, seal the bottle tightly.
4) You need a small towel or a hanky to hold the bottle, if it's too hot for your hands.
5) Roll it over your lower abdomen while it's hot, and roll it until the pain subsides. No need to put it under your shirt or blouse , the heat will get through your clothes.

Since I'm into cramps and all today, I'm gonna blog a little about period pains or what the scientific community calls "dysmenorrhea". Women suffer from such pain because of the higher production of prostaglandins during menstruation. Prostaglandins are the hormone secreted by the lining of the uterus (uterine lining). It is advised to avoid a diet high in saturated fats , those with high sugar content and processed foods, during this period so as not to exacerbate the condition. The health site that I've browsed through suggests some vitamins to take but if your not into pill-popping, try the following recommendations:

1) Drink herb teas such as ginger, mint, chamomile.
2)Eat foods high in vitamins B6 (banana, tuna, broccoli, lentils) and C (citrus fruits green peppers), and magnesium (whole grains, soybeans, spinach, fish).
3) Reduce amounts of animal fats, dairy products, meat, margarine, coconut oil, palm kernel oil.
Of course, you can engage in light exercises (yoga, stretching or a bit cardio) if you like or regularly take multivitamins high in magnesium, Vitamins B6 and C.

3 comments:

hi pie! thanks for sharing! :)

6:26 AM  

nah i'd rather have menstrual cramps than miss my daily dosage of saturated fats, sugar and processed foods. carpe diem!!! hehehe.

9:02 AM  

amen to that :D --funkylady

6:33 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home