funkylady

Perhaps most of you have already offered a short prayer for Angelito Nayan, another Filipino caught in the midst of armed conflict in Afghanistan. I'm going to spare you the details, for sure you have read it somewhere, I just want to share my thoughts for a former isko, who have braved the chaos and disorder in that war-ridden country.

Angelito had strayed far from the academy, yet I want to believe that his choice of vocation, that of being a UN worker in a land where death is a common sight, has been a result of his being an isko, nurtured by the university known for inculcating servitude to the people. I want to believe that he has gone there prepared for whatever fate there may be that awaits those who are selfless enough to leave the comforts each "peace-loving" nation offer.I want to believe those things, but reality bites, and sucks big time, because no matter how brave one is, no matter how prepared these people are, nobody can escape that dreadful feeling of hopelessness as your life depends on people who have stopped being humans.

But miracles do happen and prayers can move mountains...

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home